Is it just me, or are all the goals scored in the NHL Playoffs come from the same general area?

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Dream in Danger: Canucks vs Canadiens

Leading by three games to none in the Western Conference Quarterfinal against the eighth seeded Chicago Blackhawks, who are the defending Stanley Cup Champion from a year ago, the 2011 President's Trophy winning Vancouver Canucks laid a golden egg for the Hawks losing 7-2 in the pivotal fourth game in Chicago.

Not to be an old goof with a history degree, but three teams in the history of the National Hockey League rallied from three-nil deficit to win the playoff series in seven games. For more on this series, check out NHL.com.
  1. 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs: Stanley Cup Final vs Detroit
  2. 1975 New York Islanders: Stanley Cup Quarterfinal vs Pittsburgh (I apologize; I had to look up that one o_O)
  3. 2010 Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Eastern Conference Semi-Final vs Boston


I have a humourous story about the last one: Since I was working at Sherwin-Williams at the time, I knew my boss was a huge Boston Bruins fan. I heard every kind of Maple Leafs joke from him for five years, and after the debacle of the Kessel trade I finally had something to come back at him with. Instead, from the moment I set foot inside the store until closing, I worked REALLY hard. That was my last spring at Sherwin-Williams.

Morale of the story: Vancouver, stop clowning around, otherwise you will get covered in paint!

Montreal also lost the third game of their playoff series at home against the Boston Bruins on Monday. I'm not alarmed so much as I expect this to be a long series. As I said before my former boss loves the Bruins, but his distaste for everything French-Canadian is well-documented and legendary! I will not regale you with his stories, off-colour jokes, or reasons why he will never watch the Montreal Canadiens on television for as long as he lives...It has all to do with Ken Dryden and 1971.

Go Habs?

Keep the dream alive:
Canucks 3/12
Canadiens 2/12

I know you need to win 16 game before you can claim the Stanley Cup, but like most people in this country, minus the former Leaf fans in Ottawa, I want an all-Canadian match-up! Both teams must win twelve games for that to happen, hence the counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment